Wednesday, May 21, 2008

mimi's garden






Mimi's garden is bursting with bright, beautiful flowers. I hope you inherited her green thumb. What's a green thumb, you ask?
According to James Underwood Crockett, it comes from the fact that algae growing on the outside of earthenware pots will stain a person's thumb (and fingers) if he or she handles enough pots. Hence, a person who is always working with flowerpots has a green thumb. Another theory is that it originated during the reign of King Edward I of England. He was fond of green peas and kept half a dozen serfs shelling them during the season. The serf who had the greenest thumb won a prize.
From The Old Farmer's Almanac.

1 comment:

Jennifer Juniper said...

I was blog hopping to see who was next door and I was stopped by one of the greatest banners I've seen yet! I just had to tell you it made me smile :)