Thursday, October 9, 2008

oh dear



I am so excited about my weekend away. I'm not excited to leave you Jackson, but I do think Daddy needs some alone time with you. It'll be good for both of you.

I was so excited that I decided to make little favors for the 9 other gals who will be there. But oh dear, what a disaster that turned out to be. 1. We're going to WHITE Lake, not Great Lake. 2. I burned the chocolate macaroons*. 3. I didn't make enough of them anyway.

Isn't it the thought that counts?

*Plain Macaroons

3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
2 large egg whites
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine sugar, coconut, egg whites, vanilla, and salt. Use your hands to mix well, completely combining ingredients.

Dampen hands with cold water. Form 1/2 tablespoons of mixture into a loose haystack shape, and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture, placing macaroons about 1 inch apart.

Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven to a wire rack, and let macaroons cool slightly on baking sheet. These are best served warm from the oven, but can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

{from Martha}

No comments: