Friday, February 19, 2010

bittersweet


















We're deep in the midst of packing up the last 7 years of our life here. While of course I'm so excited to move to our new house (!), there's many memories here that make this place so special for me. Happy times, sad times, sick times, well times - starting with Jon carrying me over the threshold in 2003. We played scrabble by candlelight here during the blackout of 2003. I remember bending down by Jon's bedside to tell him I was pregnant, both times. We brought both babies home here. We've hosted superbowl parties, showers, birthday parties, and some arm-wrestling here and there. I found out I was getting laid off sitting on my bed in the bedroom looking at the big wooden beams overhead. I found out about my Grandpa dying at the dining room table here, knees shaking and sitting on Jon's lap. We've weathered four hospital visits (me three, baby Jackson one). All of their firsts have happened here - Jackson's first birthday, first steps, first words (Dada, but of course), Cade's first crawls, bath, and first foods. We've read countless books, took countless baths, and spent a LOT of hours at the train table in the circular corner of the living room. We've eaten many good meals here with friends, and we've had some rocking karaoke parties. We have made friends in the neighborhood, and will miss our "tiny tiny playground" where Jackson would drop maple seeds into the drain for hours. We will miss One Girl, Blue Marble, Victory, Trader Joe's, Blue Sky, and Bark. Jackson rides around and around in circles on his train here, and Cade is not far behind him, crawling on his knees. We've sat and sang at the kitchen island. Both boys have loved to look out the window to see the action on Third Ave and Dean Street. We will miss so much here.

We've got one more week here. Then our new adventure begins.

3 comments:

Bess Hammer said...

It is a very cozy comfortable home as will be your next! Bittersweet it must be! Good luck with the move! Can't wait to see the photos of the new place! What is the mailing address?

Jon said...

Touch me, it's so easy to leave me
All alone with the memory
Of my days in the sun.
If you touch me, you'll understand what happiness is.
Look, a new day has begun.

Cats - Memories Lyrics

nikki said...

So many great memories and so many new memories to come in your new home! Can't wait to be there for them! xo