Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Happy 5th birthday, Cade!







Dear Cade,

Happy 5th birthday, my dear, sweet, funny, cute, LOUD little boy!

And now you are 5 - and now you are for sure not my Baby Cade any more. This breaks my heart but then you fill it again with your smile, your fake-photo smile, your raised-eyebrow smile, your throw-your-head-back-and-laugh smile.

I find it appropriate that you were born Fourth of July weekend, since you are quite a little firecracker.   When you run, you sprint. When you sing, you shout. When you dance, you get down. You know what I mean?

You have a natural inclination to defy me, which, I'm sure you can imagine, is pretty frustrating. When I ask you to do something, more often that not, you shout NO! before I can even finish my sentence. Not nice! But then you'll walk in the room and say, "Mama, I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!" and throw your hands out in the air like you are on a Broadway stage, and I wonder where you came from.

You had a great year, at your Pre-K school, every day you would tell me what you learned, very matter of factly - "Mama, first there's the eggs, then the crysallis, then the caterpillar, then the butterfly. That's the life cycle." One day, Jackson and I were in the kitchen and you were at the top of the stairs. Jackson asked me a question, "Are butterflies insects?" and you yelled down, "Butterflies ARE insects!"

You have quite a collection of stuffed animals in your bed, and depending on the temperature, you will cover them up with an assortment of bandanas and blankets. Of the 4 feet width of your bed (which you are about to grow out of any day now), you sleep on 16 inches and your stuffed animals take up the remainder of the space.

You love to bike, dance, play with Superhero's, be read to, and you're so so so close to swimming on your own. Your favorite food - mac and cheese. You claim to LOVE bananas but every time I give you one, you have three bites then say you don't want it anymore.  You'll still spend an hour in the bath, and you'll still yell bloody murder if water gets in your eyes, but the other day you had a shower and it didn't terrify you.

You also are Mr. Innocente when Jackson is getting in trouble - "Yes, geesh, Jackson, you have to shut the refrigerator door after you get the milk out!" like you're the most perfect, expert little kid when it comes to remembering to shut the fridge door. Or, piping up, unasked, "I didn't do that! Mh-mmm, not me."

I love you to pieces buddy. You are the best, I love you and I love you and I love you.

Love,
Mama

Letters on your 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st and 6 mos. birthdays.

1 comment:

abigail said...

5??? Not possible.
Happiest of Birthdays to you little guy! Hope to see you very soon :)